Saturday, April 27, 2019

Jonas Brothers (5) - April 27, 2019

Hey there, peeps! This week was a bit of a stretch as we have five exits and three of them were rather good. I don't really have much to say other than the fact that you should do my rankdown; it's due in two weeks and we have three participants. Again, it's on the Pages widget of the sidebar. Here are the five exits this week:
  • Khalid ft. Normani - Love Lies (#44)
  • Maren Morris - GIRL (#43)
  • 5 Seconds of Summer - Youngblood (#41) [5 Weeks at #1]
  • Cardi B & Bruno Mars - Please Me (#40)
  • Kelsea Ballerini - Miss Me More (#39) (!!!)
Last Week's #1 Song: Jonas Brothers - Sucker
45. Anne-Marie - 2002 (#34)
44. Imagine Dragons - Natural (#45) [1 Week at #1]
43. Post Malone & Swae Lee - Sunflower (#42)
42. FLETCHER - Undrunk (#36)
41. Austin Brown - In Betweenin' (#33)
40. Ariana Grande - Thank U, Next (#37)
39. Lewis Capaldi - Someone You Loved (DEBUT) (Out of nowhere!)
38. Benny Blanco ft. Halsey & Khalid - Eastside (#35)
37. Jake Miller - Wait for You (#30)
36. Alessia Cara - Out of Love (DEBUT)
35. Avril Lavigne ft. Nicki Minaj - Dumb Blonde (#20)
34. Lil Nas X ft. Billy Ray Cyrus - Old Town Road (#38)
33. Dan + Shay - Tequila (#28)
32. NOTD, Felix Jaehn, & Captain Cuts ft. Georgia Ku - So Close (DEBUT)
31. Ciara - Thinkin Bout You (#32)
30. MAX ft. Quinn XCII - Love Me Less (DEBUT)
29. Yungblud & Halsey ft. Travis Barker - 11 Minutes (#26)
28. Lizzo - Juice (#23)
27. Billie Eilish - Bury A Friend (DEBUT) (*exhales*)
26. Ariana Grande - 7 Rings (#29)
25. Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper - Shallow (#18)
24. Khalid - Better (#21)
23. Twenty One Pilots - Chlorine (#31)
22. Post Malone - Wow. (#27)
21. Marshmello ft. CHVRCHES - Here With Me (#24)
20. Ally Brooke - Low Key (#25)
19. Lil Peep & iLoveMakonnen ft. Fall Out Boy - I've Been Waiting (#19)
18. Bebe Rexha - Last Hurrah (#12)
17. Dean Lewis - Be Alright (#22)
16. Ariana Grande - Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored (#15)
15. Panic! At The Disco - High Hopes (#7) [8 Weeks at #1]
14. Lauv ft. Troye Sivan - I'm So Tired (#17)
13. P!nk - Walk Me Home (#16)
12. Sam Smith ft. Normani - Dancing With A Stranger (#8)
11. Chainsmokers ft. Kelsea Ballerini - This Feeling (#6) [7 Weeks at #1]
10. Dan + Shay - Speechless (#9)
9. Marshmello ft. Bastille - Happier (#11) [2 Weeks at #1]
8. Alec Benjamin - Let Me Down Slowly (#13)
7. Ellie Goulding x Diplo - Close to Me (#10)
6. Imagine Dragons - Bad Liar (#14)
5. Ava Max - Sweet But Psycho (#2)
4. Panic! At The Disco - Hey Look Ma, I Made It (#3) [3 Weeks at #1]
3. Halsey - Without Me (#5) [5 Weeks at #1]
2. Chainsmokers ft. 5 Seconds of Summer - Who Do You Love (#4)
1. Jonas Brothers - Sucker (#1) [5th Week at #1]

Biggest DROP!!!... of the Week: Avril Lavigne ft. Nicki Minaj - Dumb Blonde (-15)

Biggest Jump of the Week: Tie Between Twenty One Pilots - Chlorine and Imagine Dragons - Bad Liar (+8)

New Entrants
We have five entrants this week; two left HitBound last week, two more went straight to the countdown, and one went the proper way. We'll go from worst to best.


  • This first song comes from the extremely overrated Billie Eilish with Bury A Friend. With that, it's rant time. I honestly do not know what this song is. It left HitBound last week but it was still on the poll so me and the rest of the Hits 1 Discord server knew it was coming here so I'm honestly not surprised. But I do not understand what makes everyone like Billie Eilish. What makes this song so putrid is the fact that you can barely hear her voice over the terrible production. It's like an alternate world where pop music and mumbling artists meet. I really hate the aahhh's in the chorus. Those were unnecessary. Plus, this review comes from someone who puts Ocean Eyes in his Top 20 of 2016. I understand that with When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? she was trying something new but it just does not work at all. This pretty much has a spot locked for my Bottom 10 of 2019. I do not understand the appeal. Maybe I'm overthinking it but honestly, this sucks. I would not like to see this be a hit but I'm sure Hits 1 will overrate it like a bunch of people I know do.
    • Overall Rating: 0.5/10
  • Next up we have MAX with Love Me Less featuring Quinn XCII. I'm sure we remember MAX from his 2017-2018 hit, Lights Down Low which I sometimes use as my one-year tenure example because of its long tenure achievement. Of course MAX shows off his good voice here in the chorus and first verse. I'm not a big fan of Quinn XCII which brings this down for me. I'm not huge on the production either. I think Lights Down Low was better in terms of production. Overall, this is a decent song and I don't mind it becoming a hit as long as it isn't overplayed.
    • Overall Rating: 6/10
  • Next we have soon-to-be breakout artist Lewis Capaldi with Someone You Loved. I don't really have much to say for this song. It's a sweet song and I like the production of the track. But I don't have the best feeling about those vocals. I think they need a bit of improvement. It's a sweet song but not the best thing ever. Again, I don't have much to say because this is based on a first listen.
    • Overall Rating: 6.5/10
  • The fourth song comes from Alessia Cara who had Growing Pains and Trust My Lonely from a few months ago. I wasn't a big fan of those songs but this one is quite a step up. I like the production a bit and personally, I feel like her vocals have significantly improved over time since Here. I think the meaning is good; it's about her sudden change in emotions which causes her boyfriend to leave her. It's a good song. Not the best thing Alessia has been part of but it's good. (Her best is 1-800-273-8255 with Logic and Khalid by a landslide.)
    • Overall Rating: 8.5/10
  • Our final debut and my new favorite song on the countdown comes from NOTD who had the extremely overplayed I Wanna Know last year. This new song also includes Felix Jaehn, Captain Cuts, and Georgia Ku and is titled So Close. If you've read too much and you want a short summary, then take this. Long story short, this is an EDM masterpiece. The production kicks the song off then Georgia Ku steals the show with her amazing vocals that I know of. The drop does feel a little Marshmello-like but it's still great and it has a nice moving vibe. The lyrics are great too. All considered, this is my new jam and I would love to see this get big here. I can already tell it won't because Hits 1 underrates good music which is visible through the fact that Miss Me More is already gone.
    • Overall Rating: 10/10
Debut Ranking:
5. Billie Eilish - Bury A Friend
4. MAX ft. Quinn XCII - Love Me Less
3. Lewis Capaldi - Someone You Loved
2. Alessia Cara - Out of Love
1. NOTD, Felix Jaehn, & Captain Cuts ft. Georgia Ku - So Close

HitBound
Here is the HitBound list for this week:


  • SZA x The Weeknd x Travis Scott - Power Is Power
  • Billie Eilish - Bad Guy 
  • Bazzi - Paradise 
  • Taylor Swift ft. Brendon Urie - ME! (Debut) 
  • Alec Benjamin - If We Have Each Other 
  • Ava Max - So Am I 
  • Jennifer Lopez ft. French Montana - Medicine 
  • Chainsmokers - Kills You Slowly
  • Jonas Brothers - Cool
  • lovelytheband - Maybe, I'm Afraid
  • Louis Tomlinson - Two Of Us 
  • BTS ft. Halsey - Boy With Luv (no error)
  • Kygo ft. Valerie Broussard - Think About You 
  • Panic! At The Disco - Dancing's Not A Crime 
  • Jordan McGraw - Flexible
SPECIAL - HitBound Breakdown
0 - Crap
15. Billie Eilish - Bad Guy

1 - Bad
NONE

2 - Mediocre
14. Ava Max - So Am I
13. lovelytheband - Maybe, I'm Afraid

3 - Decent
12. Jonas Brothers - Cool
11. Jordan McGraw - Flexible

4 - Good
10. Louis Tomlinson - Two of Us
9. BTS ft. Halsey - Boy With Luv
8. Alec Benjamin - If We Have Each Other
7. Bazzi - Paradise
6. Chainsmokers - Kills You Slowly

5 - Great
5. Jennifer Lopez ft. French Montana - Medicine
4. Panic! At The Disco - Dancing's Not A Crime
3. Kygo ft. Valerie Broussard - Think About You
2. SZA x The Weeknd x Travis Scott - Power Is Power

6 - Best Song on HitBound
1. Taylor Swift ft. Brendon Urie - ME!

Bury A Blurb
  • Can Without Me just stay out of the Top 3? Please? This song is trash and we don't need even more Halsey than we already have. Just start dropping please.
  • The disgusting Low Key is in the Top 20. We don't need these kinds of songs becoming huge hits just because the artist is part of Fifth Harmony. The girls have not been doing so good especially Jauregui and Brooke herself. I would definitely prefer we don't let this blow up here.
  • However, we also have Be Alright ressurecting into the Top 20. As you may know, I loved this song and still do to this day. I would love to see another Dean Lewis song make the charts here like Stay Awake. This man is very talented and A Place We Knew shows that very well.
  • With the two entrants into the Top 20 out of the way, Dumb Blonde and Shallow fell out. I'm not very happy about either and these two songs show off all of these artists' talent. I really want to see both make a ressurection but for Dumb Blonde it is unlikely because of essentially what I said in my review for So Close; Hits 1 underrates the good music and lets the disgraces rise up.
  • Looks like Old Town Road actually has a chance here. I like this song quite a bit and it wouldn't disappoint me if it became a hit here. It most likely won't because we know what happens to songs like Sicko Mode that become big elsewhere; they just hide below the Top 20 and don't become a hit. But I would be relatively happy if it did rise here.
  • As far as our exits go, Love Lies was getting old so I don't really care much. GIRL and Please Me weren't really all that good so I'm glad to see them out of the countdown, especially the latter. Miss Me More definitely flopped here just because Hits 1 is weird sometimes but it's doing rather well on Billboard Hot 100 for what feels like an underground artist. However, I'm going to miss Youngblood. This is the only exit this week that actually became a hit. I fell in love with this song once I first heard it and it still sticks with me to this day. Goodbye, Youngblood. With that, Who Do You Love is 5 Seconds of Summer's last stand here for a few years.
Top 20 Review
0 - Crap
20. Marshmello ft. Bastille - Happier
19. Ally Brooke - Low Key
18. Halsey - Without Me

1 - Bad
NONE

2 - Mediocre
17. Ariana Grande - Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored

3 - Decent
16. Lauv ft. Troye Sivan - I'm So Tired
15. Ellie Goulding x Diplo - Close to Me
14. P!nk - Walk Me Home

4 - Good
13. Alec Benjamin - Let Me Down Slowly
12. Chainsmokers ft. 5 Seconds of Summer - Who Do You Love
11. Jonas Brothers - Sucker

5 - Great
10. Sam Smith ft. Normani - Dancing With A Stranger
9. Lil Peep & iLoveMakonnen ft. Fall Out Boy - I've Been Waiting
8. Imagine Dragons - I've Been Waiting
7. Dan + Shay - Speechless
6. Bebe Rexha - Last Hurrah
5. Panic! At The Disco - High Hopes
4. Panic! At The Disco - Hey Look Ma, I Made It
3. Ava Max - Sweet But Psycho
2. Chainsmokers ft. Kelsea Ballerini - This Feeling
1. Dean Lewis - Be Alright

Overall: 73% (B)

Most Missed Countdown Song: Troye Sivan - My My My! (Say what you want)

#1 Recommendation for Hits 1: Lil Dicky ft. Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande, Halsey, Zac Brown, Brendon Urie, Hailee Steinfeld, Wiz Khalifa, Snoop Dogg, Kevin Hart, Adam Levine, Shawn Mendes, Charlie Puth, Sia, Lil Jon, Miguel, Miley Cyrus, Lil Yatchy, Ed Sheeran, Katy Perry, Rita Ora, Leonardo DaCaprio, Meghan Trainor, Joel Embiid, Tory Lanez, John Legend, Backstreet Boys, Bad Bunny, PSY, Kris Wu, Benny Blanco, & Cashmere Cat - Earth (I took the time to do that!)

Top 5 This Week
1. NOTD, Felix Jaehn, & Captain Cuts ft. Georgia Ku - So Close
2. Marshmello ft. CHVRCHES - Here With Me
3. Dean Lewis - Be Alright
4. Dan + Shay - Tequila
5. FLETCHER - Undrunk

Bottom 5 This Week
1. Billie Eilish - Bury A Friend
2. Marshmello ft. Bastille - Happier
3. Ally Brooke - Low Key
4. Ariana Grande - 7 Rings
5. Halsey - Without Me

No comments:

Post a Comment