Saturday, May 4, 2019

Jonas Brothers (6) - May 4, 2019

Welcome back to the blog, everybody! I am working on a special at the moment to celebrate 500 pageviews. It's not much but it's a good start. We had quite a bit happen this week; three entries and a few surprise debuts on HitBound. IMPORTANT NOTE: I am yet again delaying all dates for the 30 Pop Rankdown by three weeks. I want to get at least six participants, we have three as of now. This may be the last postponing of these times so make sure you get to work now. It's on the pages widget on the sidebar (30 Pop Rankdown - Get involved here!). 

Here is another important announcement: I am going to simplify the color code. The phasing colors (orange, cyan, pink) will not be changed nor will Color Code B but Color Code A is getting a big rework. First of all, light red and dark green will be removed and phased into red and green respectively. Red will no longer only indicate crap music and will also indicate bad music too. Green will no longer only indicate good music and will also indicate great music too. Blue does not have a partnered color. Maroon and purple will remain the same. Color Code A will be used for new entrant ratings too. Color Code B will now be only used for Top 20 Review and Year-End Reviews.

FRESH EXITS
  • Imagine Dragons - Natural (#44) [1 Week at #1]
  • FLETCHER - Undrunk (#42) (That was... quick)
  • Jake Miller - Wait for You (#37)
Last Week's #1 Song: Jonas Brothers - Sucker
45. Post Malone ft. Swae Lee - Sunflower (#43)
44. Anne-Marie - 2002 (#45)
43. Benny Blanco ft. Halsey & Khalid - Eastside (#38)
42. Austin Brown - In Betweenin' (#41)
41. Ariana Grande - Thank U, Next (#40)
40. Panic! At The Disco - Dancing's Not A Crime (DEBUT)
39. Alessia Cara - Out of Love (#36)
38. Avril Lavigne ft. Nicki Minaj - Dumb Blonde (#35)
37. Ally Brooke - Low Key (#20) (Good.)
36. Lewis Capaldi - Someone You Loved (#39)
35. BTS ft. Halsey - Boy With Luv (DEBUT)
34. Dan + Shay - Tequila (#33)
33. Lil Nas X ft. Billy Ray Cyrus - Old Town Road (#34)
32. Billie Eilish - Bury A Friend (#27)
31. Post Malone - Wow. (#22)
30. Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper - Shallow (#25)
29. NOTD, Felix Jaehn, & Captain Cuts ft. Georgia Ku - So Close (#32)
28. MAX ft. Quinn XCII - Love Me Less (#30)
27. Twenty One Pilots - Chlorine (#23)
26. Ariana Grande - 7 Rings (#26)
25. Yungblud & Halsey ft. Travis Barker - 11 Minutes (#29)
24. Lizzo - Juice (#28)
23. Panic! At The Disco - High Hopes (#15) [8 Weeks at #1]
22. Ciara - Thinkin Bout You (#31)
21. Marshmello ft. CHVRCHES - Here With Me (#21)
20. Khalid - Better (#24)
19. Lil Peep & iLoveMakonnen ft. Fall Out Boy - I've Been Waiting (#19)
18. Dan + Shay - Speechless (#10)
17. Bebe Rexha - Last Hurrah (#18)
16. Dean Lewis - Be Alright (#17)
15. Ariana Grande - Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored (#16)
14. Lauv ft. Troye Sivan - I'm So Tired (#14)
13. Taylor Swift ft. Brendon Urie - ME! (DEBUT)
12. Alec Benjamin - Let Me Down Slowly (#8) (yoyo.exe)
11. Chainsmokers ft. Kelsea Ballerini - This Feeling (#11) [7 Weeks at #1]
10. P!nk - Walk Me Home (#13)
9. Ellie Goulding x Diplo - Close to Me (#7)
8. Imagine Dragons - Bad Liar (#6)
7. Sam Smith ft. Normani - Dancing With A Stranger (#12)
6. Marshmello ft. Bastille - Happier (#9) [2 Weeks at #1]
5. Halsey - Without Me (#3) [5 Weeks at #1]
4. Panic! At The Disco - Hey Look Ma, I Made It (#4) [3 Weeks at #1]
3. Ava Max - Sweet But Psycho (#5)
2. Chainsmokers ft. 5 Seconds of Summer - Who Do You Love (#2)
1. Jonas Brothers - Sucker (#1) [6th Week at #1]

Biggest DROP!!!... of the Week: Ally Brooke - Low Key (-18)

Biggest Jump of the Week: Ciara - Thinkin Bout You (+9)

New Entrants

  • What I like about Panic! At The Disco is that they can make a great bop but apply a good meaning or storyline to it. This is shown in their new song, Dancing's Not A Crime. I like the production and verses a bit. I think that was cool. I really like Urie's vocals too and that chorus is so good and moving; it really shows his talent as a singer. He performed Hey Look Ma, I Made It on Wednesday for Billboard Awards 2019 but I think this should've been performed instead because this shows his talent and vocal range much more than the former does. Back on topic. I love the lyrical story too. From what I can tell, it's about Brendon in his days of college and the urge to find his soulmate which I'm pretty sure is relatable for several of us. I love this song a lot and I can see it having momentum despite not being a single off Pray for the Wicked.
    • Overall Rating: 9.5/10
  • Our second debut and my "least favorite" out of all is BTS featuring Halsey on Boy With Luv. There's just something I like about this. I like the vocals a small bit and I'm a fan of Halsey's contribution. I'm not huge on the production though. It's probably the groove or something like that making me like the song a fair amount. This isn't worth writing a Dancing's Not A Crime-long review but I like this. I can see it growing on me a good amount during its tenure.
    • Overall Rating: 8/10
  • Finally, the long-awaited return of Taylor Swift. She makes her rebound with Brendon Urie on the team and her new song, ME!. This song is amazing. I love Taylor Swift's vocals here and like you would expect out of a Panic! stan, I really like Brendon Urie's contribution here. The production is somewhat interesting too. I know the bridge is very cringeworthy (i.e. and you can't spell awesome without me!) but it's fun. I like the hook too mainly because it's so infectious and distracting. The best thing about this is the message about self-confidence and empowerment. It's a thing we use everyday in our lives and it's good to see that we have people who care about this kind of thing. All things considered, this is an amazing song and hopefully this does better than her more relevant songs (i.e. Delicate) though that's off the list because (a) it's all the way up at #13 and (b) Hits 1 stans Taylor Swift and Panic! At The Disco. Also please check the Hits 1 credits for this song. It's half wrong, half right, what do you think?
    • Overall Rating: 10/10
Debut Ranking
3. BTS ft. Halsey - Boy With Luv
2. Panic! At The Disco - Dancing's Not A Crime
1. Taylor Swift ft. Brendon Urie - ME!

HitBound
Friendly reminder that Color Code A is being used for HitBound now. Here is the list for this week:
  • Kygo ft. Rita Ora - Carry On (DEBUT)
  • Shawn Mendes - If I Can't Have You (DEBUT)
  • Jennifer Lopez ft. French Montana - Medicine
  • Ava Max - So Am I
  • Andy Grammer - Don't Give Up On Me (DEBUT)
  • Chainsmokers - Kills You Slowly
  • Bazzi - Paradise
  • P!nk - Hustle (DEBUT)
  • Jonas Brothers - Cool
  • SZA x The Weeknd x Travis Scott - Power Is Power
  • Jordan McGraw - Flexible
  • Alec Benjamin - If We Have Each Other
  • Billie Eilish - Bad Guy
  • Louis Tomlinson - Two of Us
  • lovelytheband - Maybe, I'm Afraid
Top 5 HitBound Picks
1. P!nk - Hustle
2. SZA x The Weeknd x Travis Scott - Power Is Power
3. Jennifer Lopez ft. French Montana - Medicine
4. Shawn Mendes - If I Can't Have You
5. Jonas Brothers - Cool (suddenly)

Hey Kids! Blurbs Are Fun!
  • Sucker is #1 yet again. I think this might be here for two more weeks or so. It's been having a lot of gains and is still going strong. I can also see Cool making it on the countdown which, in my opinion, is the better song. This is a good song too.
  • Something strange happens to me when Happier plays on the radio. Instead of making me plug in my ears, somehow I can actually stand it. Just wanting to say I've grown into it. Probably not for long but enjoy it while it lasts.
  • I'm starting to compare Let Me Down Slowly to a yoyo in my head. It drops low then it ressurects back up. Rinse, repeat. I would appreciate to see this start taking actual drops and not -4 per week because it's getting on my nerves now.
  • Thinkin Bout You leaped up to #22 this week most likely given the performance on Billboard Awards 2019. I'm growing into this song more so I like to see it jumping higher. Hopefully Ciara has another hit this year.
  • As far as our last-week debuts go, none have really gotten a step. Bury A Friend and Out of Love actually dropped in fact and the others didn't really jump much. Someone You Loved had the biggest jump out of the five and it's only +3. I don't see much potential for these songs besides Bury a Friend and maybe Love Me Less. I'm pretty sure So Close is about to flop but I may be wrong, you never know.
  • Low Key took a tumble which I am thrilled about. We don't need generic tunes from generic artists *cough* Marshmello *cough* becoming big hits because we have a generic radio. Get out.
  • Natural left a bit later than I thought it would but I'm happy about it because I really liked it. Undrunk is a good song that deserved way more success than it got. Wait for You was never really relevant so I'm happy to see it go rather early.
Top 20 Breakdown
0 - Crap
20. Halsey - Without Me

1 - Bad
NONE

2 - Mediocre
19. Ariana Grande - Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored
18. Marshmello ft. Bastille - Happier

3 - Decent
17. Ellie Goulding x Diplo - Close to Me
16. Alec Benjamin - Let Me Down Slowly
15. Lauv ft. Troye Sivan - I'm So Tired

4 - Good
14. Khalid - Better
13. P!nk - Walk Me Home

5 - Great
12. Lil Peep & iLoveMakonnen ft. Fall Out Boy - I've Been Waiting
11. Chainsmokers ft. 5 Seconds of Summer - Who Do You Love
10. Jonas Brothers - Sucker
9. Imagine Dragons - Bad Liar
8. Sam Smith ft. Normani - Dancing With A Stranger
7. Bebe Rexha - Last Hurrah
6. Dan + Shay - Speechless
5. Ava Max - Sweet But Psycho
4. Chainsmokers ft. Kelsea Ballerini - This Feeling
3. Dean Lewis - Be Alright
2. Panic! At The Disco - Hey Look Ma, I Made It
1. Taylor Swift ft. Brendon Urie - ME!

Overall: 81% (A-)

Most Missed Countdown Song: Panic! At The Disco - Victorious

#1 Recommendation for Hits 1: Martin Garrix ft. Macklemore & Fall Out Boy - Summer Days (listen to it NOW!)

Top 5 This Week
1. NOTD, Felix Jaehn, & Captain Cuts ft. Georgia Ku - So Close
2. Taylor Swift ft. Brendon Urie - ME!
3. Panic! At The Disco - Hey Look Ma, I Made It
4. Panic! At The Disco - Dancing's Not A Crime
5. Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper - Shallow

Three Brendon Urie songs in one week. Bingo?

No comments:

Post a Comment